Twitter Play

Posted on | January 30, 2012 | 20 Comments

Imagine a play: the dialog written entirely on Twitter.

Each participant would play, not only a character, but a part in shaping the plot, scenes and structure through dialog on this blog.

The emphasis would be on quality, not on deadlines. Having determined a schedule, i.e., an objective for a dialog with assigned parts, each participant (character) would contribute their lines in turn. Each line, of course, would have to be under 140 characters, but with more to say, an * at the end of a line would indicate another line to come. The natural flow of the work should keep it progressing well enough.

The play would grow organically over time, neither slavishly following our initial plots and plans, nor the dialog, but allowing both to grow as they will.

Each character`s dialog would be written on twitter addressed to a new twitter account, by the person who takes responsibility for that character.
I propose that dialog would be in verses similar to a Shakespearean play, with rhyming optional, but it is open for discussion.

The final intent is a play that could actually be produced on stage. The ownership of the play would be shared equally by all participants.

My suggestion for the working title, subject to change once the project has more definition is: Socialized Media. Feel free to offer working titles of your own.

Important Note: If you are like me, you are busy with many things. At times one or another of us may not be able to devote a significant amount of time to this project all at once, but I must ask you to devote small portions of time consistently. This means 5 minutes every other day to catch up and let the rest of us know you are there. Obviously, when you are up at bat, i.e., contributing dialog, participation needs to be greater, but we should be able to schedule things to suit people where necessary. After all, the most time-consuming aspect is the thought behind the words, and that can be accomplished washing dishes.

List of Players to date:

- Bauke Kamstra

- Ann Dulhanty

- Rachel Cooper

- Connie DiPietro-Sparacino

We will temporarily stop recruiting at 7 people until we determine how many players we will eventually need.

Welcome to the Twitter Play.

Comments

20 Responses to “Twitter Play”

1. brian miller
    January 31st, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

oh this sounds like fun…and Tash is great at it too…we did this once a year or so ago and she def drove the story at times…good stuff..keep me posted on when it begins…

2. Moonskin
    February 1st, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Im in,  even though I am not sure how it would work.. but thats fine , would we each have a new account that was the character you mean ?

3. Wyrde
    February 1st, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

As I see it we would each post our dialog to one twitter account in turn, as we figure out the schedule here.

4. Wyrde
    February 1st, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

I am thinking that a murder mystery might work… but I am partial to them. I know I would like a character that is a painter… and we need at least one poet. Perhaps the setting could be an art community of some kind. The thought comes to me of nested communities, a poet community, a painter community, within a larger community, if that can be expressed. Lot’s of art thoughts without becoming so obscure only the cognoscenti would understand us.

Just some thoughts.

5. Wyrde
    February 1st, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Please send me your email.

6. Moonskin
    February 1st, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

Did you lose it again ..ocht  lol

7. Amdulhanty
    February 6th, 2012 @ 2:06 am

Right. Bauke says comment here, so I will.

I think this is a really cool idea.

I was wondering what kind of a theme or plot or character outlines we would have as a starting point?  I suppose we also might have some kind of pre-established relationships between our characters.

Oh, this sounds like such fun.

8. A.
    February 6th, 2012 @ 2:08 am

Ok, now I have read the other comments. Can I be in the rock and roll bar beside the artists? maybe the bartender where they like to hang out?

9. Anonymous
    February 6th, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I’m going to throw out an idea here, no one should consider it a pebble in a shoe. Propose your own, change it, make your voice heard.

The idea: A painter, perhaps not very successful, financially, but somewhat sophisticated, moves to an inexpensive studio near a small, insular village in the country, or by the sea. Hiring a local girl as a model he becomes enraptured with her and paints her obsessively. She turns up dead, obviously murdered. The artist is the obvious suspect.

A small, local artistic community, known well enough by the painter, includes, say, another painter, a couple of poets, a couple of writers, maybe a musician or a dancer or two. Motives for these characters could turn up over the course of the play.

The village, steeped in hidebound traditions of strict, yet often transgressed sexual morality, has a low tolerance for it’s tiny intelligentsia and are antagonistic toward what they see as outsiders, even those who were born and raised there with their pretentious, nose in the air, artsy fartsyness.

Throw in a young, reckless, muscle ar driving, jealous boyfriend (motive), and a strict, domineering, ignorant father who never approved of his daughter being involved with that debauched and sinful painter fellow in the first place (motive).

Add a police detective (perhaps automatically prejudiced against the painter), maybe a sidekick to do legwork, and a cameo or two of forensic specialist, should one be needed to explain fine details of the murder.

The painter, desperate to clear his name (but did he actually do it?), enlists the help of his community (but did one of them actually do it?) against the implacable hatreds of boyfriend and father (could it have been the quiet, mousy mother?) and the self-righteous conviction of the community at large.

I am no expert, but this seems to me to be a fairly large cast for a stage play, if not too large, but we could be flexible enough to consider screenplay instead if we must. :)

The art community allows for plenty of opportunity to introduce and discuss ideas about art. Obviously the detective and the painter are primary characters, some ambiguous flashback scenes could portray the model as more than a corpse, the boyfriend, father, and art community are significant as well.

OK: there is my idea, the killer hasn’t been identified and could grow out of the writing. Please weigh in and tell me what you think!

wyrde

10. Moonskinlight
    February 10th, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

I like the idea,  but do feel as well  it could get quite big and hardish to handle, as you say bigger than a play – also to work well does it not need careful plot work and choreography ? everyone has an alibi that needs to be disproved sort of thing ?  Also what time is it set in now or ? And where … as well  I dont care who or what I am in it ..not fussy at all :)

11. Ann
    February 13th, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I still want to be the bartender. Perhaps I could be the police investigators girlfriend who has a moral dilemma about whether to tell something confided to her in confidence by the artist.

As to how much backstory we need to work out before we start, I think we might get to that organically. We start to plan and plan and then one day, we start the play. I guess we do need to have characters, scenes and acts set out though, so we at least know who is in the room and what room it’s in. Or, we could start with the opening scene, let it play itself out and then regroup to decide on the next scene.

12. Ann
    February 13th, 2012 @ 12:25 am

p.s. Anyone have any idea why when I fill my name in as ‘Ann’ it keeps coming out with my email address ‘Amdulhanty’ as my name?

13. Marissa
    March 11th, 2012 @ 3:10 am

If you are still looking for guinea pigs, I’d be happy to play.
    In gratitude,
    Marissa
    @Marissa_Author (twitter)

14. Anonymous
    March 11th, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Disqus generic email templateDear Marissa

Yes I am. Some of the original people involved do not seem to have consistent time available. If you do, you would be welcome. Please follow me on twitter so I can DM you there if necessary.
    Bauke (@wyrde)

15. Connie
    March 12th, 2012 @ 12:41 am

I could be the slightly creepy proprietor of “The Doll House” a century home converted into a retail doll store selling antique, collector and ball jointed dolls. She has a special and unique relationship with her dolls, like they are living beings… They tell her things, things they see, giving her the knowledge of the models death that she shouldn’t have. The others think of her as a little mad, perhaps she is, and then again, maybe she’s not.

16. Wyrde
    March 12th, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

Creepy is good, very good. Sure, and they could even be subsidiary characters. I would think this might disqualify you from being the actual murderer… a character so obviously off the wall would be suspected early, on the other hand, a process of suspicion, suspicion averted, suspicion reaffirmed might work very well. Cool character idea in any case, I love it.

17. Marissa
    March 12th, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Fun! I could play the female ‘friend’ of our painter – perhaps lives in a studio loft on the same floor – or at least in the same building – so she can see his ‘clients’ come and go. Quiet on the outside and shy, but her words are laced with jealousy and obsession. :) Just a thought.

18. @BeingInJoy
    March 13th, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

I am interested mainly because the idea intimidates, frightens and overwhelms me (laughing) these are my clear “go” signals, Bauke! Not sure in what way to contribute…maybe time to think or someone has an idea? I’m open to suggestions…Deirdre

19. Kat
    April 7th, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

Sounds fun. Looking forward to seeing this take shape. If it hasn’t already happened yet.

20. Wyrde
    November 12th, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Sorry I’ve taken so long to reply. I’d thought someone else would be taking over this project, altho I have a love for it, but it appears they will not. I only wish I’d the time to pursue it. I’ve been remiss on my blog site for sometime. I’m catching/freshening up. It was rude not to take care of replying to my comments earlier though, & I apologize. : )