Tearing Down – dverse #OpenLinkNight ~ Week 59

Posted on | August 28, 2012 | 8 Comments

tearing down

There was an elevator here once
It was here longer than I’ve been around
it was big enough to be a landmark of sorts
they put grain in it, of course, I don’t know what kind.

It was funny how they took it down
caterpillars with crab claws
instead of buckets, pulling it down in
big pieces, then tearing them apart
like carnivorous ants, saving the metal
it made me think of finding coins in an old couch.

They scrunched the metal up into cubes
giant dice covered with runes
that only told of the end of things
not much future around here any more.

The docks haven’t been used for decades
but they haven’t been torn down either
no metal to salvage I suppose
the ships still came when I was a boy
up the river at high tide, to be left
high and dry when the water went out.

But the swallows still twist above the dyke fields
gorging on insects with wild choreography
and even though it is a new bridge, the grackles
still rise from it, a sentient cloud greeting the dawn
the cows remain unwary of the butcher’s blade
and the fox still stays safely away.

The ravens chortle at me when I pass the corn
whispering dark crow humor into the tasseled ears
then flying ahead to make omens in my sky
and I wonder if there is a machine for me
to pick apart my bones and pickle my flesh
and see if there is anything left to salvage.

25/08/12

copyright 2012 – Bauke Kamstra

#openlinknight – week 59 – http://wp.me/p1GTyJ-13G

Please comment.

Comments

8 Responses to “Tearing Down – dverse #OpenLinkNight ~ Week 59”

1. brian miller
    August 28th, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

nice…really great imagery around the tearing down of the grain elevator….the ants…the dice….really cool…and then the turn to life going on despite its loss…just as vivid…

2. Wyrde
    August 28th, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

Thank you Brian. I keep trying to impress you , and I guess I occasionally succeed. : )

3. Monica La Porta
    August 28th, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

I often wonder what once was of desolate buildings. Your words perfectly matched the picture: eerie and sad. Beautiful piece.

4. Wyrde
    August 28th, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Thank you Monica. It is just the usual, same old, consistent constant: – change. Change on the time scale that makes an impact. So much of it is so incrementally sneaky.

5. Natasha
    August 28th, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Oh…this was awesome! Puts me in mind of the shameful systems we have built up around ourselves. Tearing down is far from always bad…rather the soil needs turning if our seeds are to sprout. So many abandoned homesteads I see on my travels…those places where no one cares enough to finish them properly, let alone restore the love and life they one time knew. Much love for you this evening…thought this wonderful.

6. Wyrde
    August 28th, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Thank you Natasha. It is, of course, just the ordinary circle of life. The good/bad is the same old application of human choice.

7. Suggestion Saturday: April 27, 2013 | On The Other Hand
    April 27th, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

[…] Tearing Down via Positively Wyrde. Abandoned buildings are melancholy places. They can also be filled with a deep sense of peace, though, now that the frantic season of their existence has ended. This poem explores what happens to a building after humans partially dismantle it and then leave. […]

8. Wyrde
    November 12th, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Thanks so much for your comment! I’ve been remiss on my blog site for sometime. I’m catching/freshening up. It was rude not to take care of replying to my comments earlier though, & I apologize. : )